At six I started playing piano and fooling around with music. This became more serious when I went to the conservatory of music to study classical piano. Although passionate about playing piano, fooling around with music never left me. I became interested in the musical interaction and this led me in the direction of music therapy. I ended up as both a graduated piano player and music therapist. But the curiosity for knowledge about musical interaction and how music moves people had only increased. And you can take 'being moved by music' quite literally as at that time of my life dancing was introduced.
The wish to learn more about the therapeutic value of music led on it's turn to my Masters degree in music therapy. And despite my eagerness for performing the music, playing with others and dancing, I accepted the challenge of a doctoral study which I finished in 2014.
All that time I kept dancing oriental dance, Argentine tango and classical ballet. Finally dancing tango became my second passion next to making music. Theorizing about it I could say that it is a perfect symbioses of being moved by music in interaction.
If you wish to find out more details about my education and career you can look under My CV
- HAVO (Dutch secondary modern school) level A, Maastricht (1980)
- Muziektherapie (music therapy) Middeloo Amersfoort (1986)
- Conservatory classical piano, Maastricht (1990)
- Master music therapy research, Heerlen (2006, cum laude)
- PhD in music therapy, Münster, Germany (2014, summa cum laude)
- Fellowship neurologic music therapy, (2015)
1988 - 1991 accomp. conservatory, Maastricht
1989 - 1990 accomp. theater school, Maastricht
1991 - 1992 music therapist KDV, Stein
1991 - 1992 music therapist Vijverdal, Maastricht
1993 - 2001 music therapist De Losserhof, Losser
1999 - 2010 co-founder ViaMuziek, Oldenzaal
2001 - 2005 music therapist o.d. Kap, Hengelo
2006 - 2019 senior tutor Arts Therapy, Heerlen
2010 - founder ViaMuziek Zuid, Roermond
2018 - sen. advisor m. th. Codarts Rotterdam
2018 - piano teacher Bachelor music therapy
2021 - coordinator MProject MoM, Maastricht
picture from Yiyi de la Mota
- Poismans, K., van, Os, K., Henstra, S. en Veldhuizen, R. (2006). Kinder- and jeugdpsychiatrie. In: H. Smeijsters (red.) Handboek muziektherapie. Houten: Bohn Stafleu Van Loghum.
- Poismans, K. (2008). Samen Lachen. In: H. Smeijsters (red.) De Kunsten van het Leven. Veen Magazines.
- Poismans, K. (2009) Shared Time, Timing in muziektherapie met autistische kinderen (Timing in Music Therapy with Autistic Children). Wetenschappelijk Tijdschrift Autisme, theorie en praktijk, 8(1) 14-20.
- Poismans, K. (2010) Timing in muzikale interactie. De noodzaak en ontwikkeling van een muziektherapeutisch observatie-instrument. Tijdschrift voor Vaktherapie 6(1) 46-51.
- Poismans, K. (2014) Geteilte Zeit – gemeinsame Zeit. Entwicklung eines Messinstrumentes zum Timing in der Musiktherapie mit autistische Kindern. Enschede: Ipskamp Drukkers.
- Van Hooren, S.A.H., Vink, A., Poismans, K., Van Bruggen-Rufi, M. & Hakvoort, L. (2014) De klemtoon op muziek en therapie. Tijdschrift De psycholoog, 2014(4), 10-18.
- Poismans, K., Smeijsters, H. & Vink, A. (red.) (2015) De ontwikkeling van Muziektherapie in Nederland: Impressies van pioniers. Enschede: Ipskamp Drukkers.
- Poismans, K. (2019) In the beginning there was, ‘Music’. In Dongelmans, N.T. Reinvorgerated Caregivers. 7 Amazing ways to become remarkable at caring for people with dementia (p 94 – p 102). Ontario: Black Card Books.
- 2005 - 2007 co-organizer European conference on music therapy
- 2005 - 2012 co-organizer, Autism and music therapy
- 2006 - 2015 secretary, Music Therapy Foundation
- 2007 - 2012 committee member Registration of arts therapists
- 2015 - 2018 chair Music Therapy Foundation
- 2015 - 2016 ASS standard Federation of arts therapy
- 2017 trainer in stress control of singers. Bejing, China
- 2018 member accredition committee NVAO
- 2021 - exam committee of conservatory, Maastricht